Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Drumsticks

If they ever really wanted to, kids could start an insurgency that rolled into a revolution and would overthrow the regime of the adults.

The have the numbers, the energy, and the time.

You might even throw in their weapons of influence over us to effectively affect our general mood, whether positive (being occasionally adorable) or negative (being often annoying).

What they seem to lack is organization and killer instinct to make such a revolt happen.

That is slowly being remedied, though, and by our own hands.

Technology and the tools & behavior it enables is evolving at such a rapid rate that, pretty soon, only the young and kidly will wield all of to such a degree that it will make people above the age of 12 obsolete and useless.

The next generation of social networking, i.e. BabyFaceBook and MySpaceJr, will make it possible for younger and younger kids to organize their peers, mobilize against those in power, and execute nefarious plots.

Boo!

Don't let the kids take over!

Trick them with Wiis instead of allowing them to play Grand Theft Auto ...

That is to say that there are a lot of kids in this airport.

***

Jnnfr Jbnvll was the first crush I had on a girl who didn't live in my state.

In my sophomore year of college, a group of us that lived at the now-demolished Mariposa Hall at ASU organized a service spring break trip. Instead of doing it up on a spring break whose sole purpose was drinking, partying, and hooking up, we opted to

....

I started writing section 1 above while I was waiting for my flight out of New York to Chicago.

It was going to go much darker, but I noticed that the woman next to me had started reading as I was typing.

The funny looks I've gotten with my beard and all of the "If you see something suspicious, say something!" signs I've seen in New York made me a bit paranoid. I could easily see some nervous nelly thinking that what I had written was going to end up being some weird manifesto.

So, I tried to wrap it up quickly and lighter than I intended and started to write Section 2 (above). I was too unfocused to really continue, so I left it as is. It'll come back later

---

So, my last day in New York was a lot of running around.

Spent all night up and scribbling, doing computer stuff at the aforementioned hotel, looking for a place to shower (and failing!), and taking the train to JFK.

There was a flight delay of about 2.5 hours. As soon as we boarded, the jetBlue folks asked for some volunteers to catch the next flight to Chicago. Their deal would've worked out to 2 roundtrip to anywhere they fly for $300 - a pretty amazing deal.

With the amount of traveling coming up (there seem to be a whole new wave of festivals popping up), it would've been pretty sweet.

The prospect of not knowing when I'd fly out, though, was the dealbreaker. Between being insanely tired and not having showered in a while, I had to pass.

I got into O'Hare, found some treasure there, and then hit the train.

I booked it over to where I'm staying with Grg Ind (this disemvowelment thing is getting slightly ridiculous) and was greeted to Grg and his lovely pooch, Gs.

Talked and caught up - then a shower! It was glorious!

That was last night - today, I've spent most of the day getting stuff in order for the next few days in Chicago and for the rest of my trip.

I uploaded a new batch of photos (over 300!), but you won't see any of them until maybe tomorrow. Grg is out at a meeting for Chicago Neutrino (exciting!) and I'm about to meet with Cdy, Mchl, and Stph from Austin at Giordano's for some delicious stuffed pizza!

Ground control to Major Tom!

No comments: