Monday, August 18, 2008

Flutter

I have no idea when the last quasi-real-time update was ...

Yesterday, I went to Work(shop)-in-Progress, an ongoing, weekly improv workshop open to folks on a drop-in basis in Chicago. I had a pretty good time and there was some fun stuff going on.

I actually also ran into an old improv acquaintance, Adm Hggns. Galapagos first met him at the Denver Improv Festival in 2006. Back then, he was performing with Bll Crnnsky. Crnnsky had actually been a part of ComedySportz-Phoenix way back in the day (I wasn't in the improv fold back in them days).

Adm also knows Jcq - they did the iO Summer Intensive together about three years ago.

Anyway, he moved to Chicago about a year ago and has been living the improvisor / actor life out here.

I also ran into some old school puppeteers (one of whom had worked on an old Chicago children's show). One of them (not as old school, but still was rolling with them) knew some of the folks that do double duty in the improv and puppeteering scenes in Phoenix. Connections all around!

Oh yeah!

I got to have lunch (prior to the workshop) with J, Lr, and their daughter, Ang - she's so big and beautiful! It was a treat to catch up with them! That's especially true since my navigational intuition went wacky and I ended up running up and down the same stretch of Lincoln via bus, taxi, and patamobile.

After the workshop, I met up with Fzzy and Erca for dinner. They took me to a bar that doesn't serve its own food, but instead gets it from the steakhouse a few doors down.

I'm not usually one for red meat, but I made an exception for the heavily recommended rib eye steak sandwich. It was a pretty substantial hunk of meat and it was delicious!

A friend of theirs, Rbcca, also joined us in the eating of meat.

Wrapping up there, I promptly dashed to the train station in a cab only to find that I had missed my train by about a half an hour. I had written down the wrong departure time.

I decided to head back uptown and catch some last shows at iO (and caught up with Mchl from Austin who was still in town).

The intern working the box office was nice enough to let me slip in for the end of the Deep Schwa show, which was good and fun.

I was really jazzed to catch Children of a Lesser God, which featured a favorite of mine, Ssn Mssng. It was easily one of the best, most fun, and funniest shows that I've caught in the past few weeks, which has been littered with great shows, filled with good shows, and inundated with shows ranging from medium to bad.

(Also up there was WNEP Production's Metaluna, which was awesome and amazing! I caught that on Saturday - its closing night. In addition to the great play and the great performances, it also featured an actor that had a really small part in The Dark Knight - that was fun.)

After Children, I slipped in for the last bit of 3033. What I saw was good, but there were clearly some callbacks that had been seeded in the part of the show that I didn't see that definitely satisfied and delighted the audience.

I actually ran into Rbcca, who had just met hours earlier.

(My energy is dipping ... coherence slipping ...)

I went off with Mchl and he was nice enough to let me crash at the place he, Cdy, and Stph had sublet. Cdy and Stph had left on Saturday.

I'm actually writing from that very place even though Mchl left to the airport about an hour ago.

He had made copies of the key and so now I have them and can dispose of them when I leave, and I'm trying to get some writing done.

That last part is boring, but lucky me!

No comments: