Thursday, August 21, 2008

Part Three:

The trip back to Austin from New Orleans via Craigslist, last August, was fun.

After a few failed starts, doubts about the trip, and a few emails and phone messages, I was able to catch a ride with Katya.

Katya was from some part of Eastern Europe and had ended up in New Orleans. She came post-Katrina to help out and had been working ever since with a homeopathic doctor, who was providing low-cost health care to residents of the Lower Ninth Ward, which was pretty much the most hard hit of areas.

Our journey to Austin was mostly uneventful and we had some good conversations.

I think the most entertaining thing was when Katya, a tiny but smart and spunky girl, met Trp, who I was staying with in Austin while I was there.

Katya had a friend in Austin that she was supposed to get a hold of. They just never connected and I told her that she could probably crash with us.

We got to Trp's place at some groggily late hour. Trp was still up shooting out emails and the like.

Katya thanked him for letting her crash and she asked where she should sleep.

Somewhat abruptly and with his wonderful madness, he replied, "I don't give a shit!"

She looked at him somewhat confusedly.

"You can sleep anywhere - I don't give a shit!"

And, she did.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

I am not sure why you are leaving out consonants in the names of people. Oh right, you are the terror watch list.

Your blog needs more pictures. Especially of national landmarks. (wink)